|Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs|
Theatrical release poster
|Based on||Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs|
by Judi Barrett
|Produced by||Pam Marsden|
|Edited by||Robert Fisher Jr.|
|Music by||Mark Mothersbaugh|
Bạn đang xem: cloudy with a chance of meatballs
|Distributed by||Sony Pictures Releasing|
|Box office||$243 million|
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs is a 2009 American computer-animated science fiction comedy film produced by Sony Pictures Animation. Loosely based on the 1978 children's book of the same name by Judi and Ron Barrett, the film was written for the screen and directed by Phil Lord and Christopher Miller (in their feature directorial debuts), and stars the voices of Bill Hader, Anna Faris, James Caan, Andy Samberg, Bruce Campbell, Mr. T, Benjamin Bratt, and Neil Patrick Harris. The film centers around an aspiring inventor named Flint Lockwood who develops, following a series of failed experiments, a machine that can convert water into food. After the machine gains sentience and begins to lớn develop food storms, Flint must stop it in order to lớn save the world.
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs premiered at the Mann Village Theater in Los Angeles, California on September 12, 2009, and was released in the United States six days later on September 18, by Sony Pictures Releasing under its Columbia Pictures label. It earned over $243 million worldwide on a budget of $100 million at the box office. The film received generally positive reviews from critics, who praised its colorful visuals, humor, characters, voice acting, and the score, while the simple character designs were said to lớn be unfitting. The film has since been expanded into a franchise, with a sequel, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2, released on September 27, 2013, as well as an animated television series based on the film that premiered on Cartoon Network on February trăng tròn, 2017, with none of the original cast returning.
Aspiring scientist Flint Lockwood lives in Swallow Falls, a tiny island in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. Sardines is the base of Swallow Falls' economy, but the Baby Brent Sardines cannery has gone bankrupt due to lớn worldwide dislike of sardines. One day, Flint invents the "Flint Lockwood Diatonic Super Mutating Dynamic Food Replicator" (FLDSMDFR), a machine that turns water into food, which ends up shorting out his house's electrical supply. Flint decides to lớn power the machine by hooking it up to lớn the large riser pole at the nearby power substation, sending it rocketing through town and subsequently destroying a park conceived by the town’s mayor before ultimately shooting up into the sky. Afterwards, Flint meets Samantha "Sam" Sparks, a weather reporter intern whose big break was ruined by the incident. Brightly colored clouds then float over the town and begin to lớn rain cheeseburgers, delighting the residents.
Flint creates a communication device to lớn send food orders to lớn the machine, and Swallow Falls (now renamed Chewandswallow) becomes a successful "food tourism" destination. As Flint and Sam grow closer, and Sam opens up to lớn Flint about her history of being bullied and the shame she feels about her nerdy demeanor, though Flint insists she's beautiful the way she is.
As the townsfolk become greedier, Flint notices that the food is growing larger. Despite Flint's concerns that the food is starting to lớn "over mutate", Mayor Shelbourne, now morbidly obese, schemes to lớn use the invention for personal gain. When a large tornado of spaghetti and meatballs ravages the town, Flint rushes to lớn his lab to lớn turn off the FLDSMDFR, but Shelbourne accidentally destroys the communication device after ordering a Vegas-style all-you-can-eat Búp Phê. Now sentient, the FLDSMDFR creates a massive food storm that sends colossal food downpours to lớn various cities and their landmarks.
After gaining encouragement from his father Tim, Flint places the kill code in a USB flash drive, and builds a flying xế hộp to lớn reach and destroy the FLDSMDFR, with the aid of Sam, her cameraman Manny, Flint's pet monkey Steve, and Brent McHale (namesake of the Baby Brent Sardines cannery). As they approach the machine in the sky, they find that it is now serving as the core of a giant meatball asteroid which it created. The machine sends living food to lớn attack them. Flint calls Tim and orders him gmail the kill code tệp tin to lớn his phone. As Sam, Brent and Flint enter the meatball, they are accosted by living roast chickens, one of which Brent manages to lớn take control of after it eats him.
Back in Chewandswallow, a dam containing leftovers collapses, creating an avalanche of food that destroys the town. Tim manages to lớn re-send the code to lớn Flint's cell phone. While lowering Flint down a tunnel using rope, Sam gets cut by a piece of peanut brittle, causing an allergic reaction. Flint implores Brent to lớn take Sam back to lớn the plane and get her a shot, but she refuses to lớn let Flint go. They confess their love for each other before Flint cuts the rope and plummets down. Sam and Brent make it back to lớn the plane after Brent fights off the roast chickens.
While scuffling with the machine, Flint discovers that Tim accidentally sent him the wrong tệp tin. However, he uses his Spray-On Shoes formula to lớn stop the machine, causing it and the giant meatball to lớn explode, though also seemingly killing him. With the machine destroyed, the food storms subside and everyone is able to lớn return safely to lớn Chewandswallow. Flint is revealed to lớn have survived the explosion by letting go of the machine and falling down the blowhole at the last second before the explosion. Tim finally shows his appreciation for his son and his inventions, and Flint and Sam celebrate with a kiss.
Voice actors in the film include:
- Bill Hader as Flint Lockwood, an unsuccessful and timid but determined young inventor, and Sam's love interest. Hader also voices the FLDSMDFR
- Max Neuwirth as young Flint
- Anna Faris as Samantha "Sam" Sparks, a weather intern from Thủ đô New York City and later Flint's love interest
- Neil Patrick Harris as Steve, Flint's pet vervet monkey and best friend, who communicates through a thought translator Flint invented
- James Caan as Timothy "Tim" Lockwood, Flint's technophobic fisherman father
- Bruce Campbell as Mayor Shelbourne, the town's corrupt Mayor
- Andy Samberg as "Baby" Brent McHale, arrogant and dim-witted mascot of the sardine cannery
- Mr. T as Officer Earl Devereaux, athletic police officer and Cal's father
- Bobb'e J. Thompson as Calvin "Cal" Devereaux, Earl's young son
- Benjamin Bratt as Manny, Sam's Guatemalan cameraman and former doctor, pilot, and comedian
- Al Roker as Patrick Patrickson, weather station anchorman
- Lauren Graham as Fran Lockwood, Flint's late mother who always expressed her belief in her son
- Will Forte as Joe Towne, a redneck
- Angela V. Shelton as Regina Devereaux, Earl's wife and Cal's mother
On May 9, 2003, a year after establishment, Sony Pictures Animation announced its first animated slate, including Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, a film adaptation of the book of the same name. The Brizzi brothers were brought to lớn direct the film, with Wayne Rice adapting the screenplay. In 2006, it was reported that the film had been helmed by new directors and writers, Phil Lord and Christopher Miller. Lord and Miller said later that year that it would be a homage to lớn, and a parody of, disaster films such as Twister, Armageddon, The Core, and The Day After Tomorrow.
Story and script
After a year working on the script, Lord and Christopher Miller were fired for story issues and replaced with new writers, who after a year were also fired. Lord and Miller were then re-hired in 2006. The two completely redid the script, this time with the creative input of their crew. The new draft had the protagonist as a failed inventor who wanted to lớn prove himself to lớn his town. The two were almost fired again after Amy Pascal, then-head of Sony Pictures, criticized the film for lack of story. Although the film succeeded on the comedic front in the animatic stage, Pascal cited the lack of an anchoring relationship in the film as a failure in the story telling. Unable to lớn create new characters and environments to lớn suit the new story demands, the two elevated the character of the tackle cửa hàng extra to lớn be the protagonist's father, thereby creating the relationship Pascal had requested. The pair's experience on Cloudy taught them two valuable lessons: the power of creative collaboration and the importance of emotion in a story.
Xem thêm: mai là ngày gì
On September 18, 2008, Variety announced that Bill Hader and Anna Faris had signed on to lớn voice the two lead characters, with James Caan, Bruce Campbell, Mr. T, Andy Samberg, Neil Patrick Harris, Bobb'e J. Thompson, Benjamin Bratt, Al Roker, Lauren Graham, and Will Forte also in the voice cast.
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs is the second film after Monster House that was made using the animation rendering software Arnold. Justin K. Thompson served as production designer.
|Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs|
|Soundtrack album by |
|Released||September 15, 2009|
|Studio||Air Lyndhurst Studios|
Angel Recording Studios
Abbey Road Studios
Henry Wood Hall
|Label||Sony Pictures Entertainment (Sony Music)|
|Mark Mothersbaugh chronology|
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs is the soundtrack to lớn the film of the same name, released under Sony Pictures Entertainment on September 15, 2009. The music of the film and this album are both credited to lớn be composed and produced by American composer Mark Mothersbaugh of Devo. "Raining Sunshine", performed by Miranda Cosgrove, was released as a promotional single on August 24, 2009.
All music is composed by Mark Mothersbaugh, except where noted
|1.||"Raining Sunshine" (Matthew Gerrard, Jay Landers, Charlie Midnight)||Miranda Cosgrove||3:44|
|4.||"The Latest Invention"||1:23|
|5.||"The Mayor/Earl Warns Flint"||1:17|
|6.||"Sam's Big Break"||0:50|
|10.||"A Father's Love"||1:19|
|11.||"Ice Cream Wonderland"||1:22|
|13.||"The Mayor's Big Plan"||1:16|
|14.||"Activation and the Jell-O Dome"||1:39|
|15.||"Sam and Flint Bond"||2:00|
|17.||"The Spaghetti Twister"||3:08|
|20.||"The Food Storm"||2:08|
|21.||"The Mission Begins"||2:36|
|22.||"Outside the Meatball"||1:57|
|23.||"Inside the Meatball"||1:39|
|24.||"Earl Takes Charge"||2:00|
|28.||"Attack of the Gummi Bears"||1:40|
|29.||"Here's the Cheese"||1:25|
|30.||"The Heart of the Meatball"||1:17|
|33.||"Sunshine, Lollipops and Rainbows" (Marvin Hamlisch, Howard Liebling)||Lesley Gore||1:37|
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs premiered on September 12, 2009, at the Mann Village Theatre in Los Angeles, California. The film had its wide release on September 18, 2009, along with a digitally re-mastered release to lớn IMAX 3 chiều theatres.
The film was released on DVD, Blu-ray Disc, and PSP UMD on January 5, 2010 in the United States and Canada. A 3 chiều Blu-ray was released on June 22, 2010. It was the first 3 chiều Blu-ray sold individually in the United States.
In April 2021, Sony signed a giảm giá with Disney giving them access to lớn their legacy nội dung, including Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs and its sequel to lớn stream on Disney+ and Hulu and appear on Disney's linear television networks. Disney's access to lớn Sony's titles would come following their availability on Netflix.
In August 2009, Insight Editions published a companion book to lớn the film called The Art and Making of Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs.
On Rotten Tomatoes, the film has a "Certified Fresh" rating of 86% based on 142 reviews with an average rating of 7.3/10. The consensus statement reads, "Quirky humor, plucky characters and solid slapstick make this family comedy a frenetically tasty time at the movies." On Metacritic it has a weighted average score of 66 out of 100, based on 24 reviews, indicating "generally favorable reviews". Audiences polled by CinemaScore gave the film an average grade of "A−" on an A+ to lớn F scale.
Ernest Hardy of LA Weekly stated the film "is smart, insightful on a host of relationship dynamics, and filled with fast-paced action". Hardy also applauded the 3-D effects which "are wonderful, full of witty sight gags that play out both center-screen and on the periphery". Michael Phillips of the Chicago Tribune gave the film a mixed review stating that "Crazy doesn't always equal funny, and the gigantism of this 3-D offering's second half puts a damper on your enjoyment. But look: This film wasn't made for you, or bu. It was made for dangerously, easily distracted 9-year-olds." Kyle Smith of the New York Post gave the film two stars stating that the animated film "greatly expands on the kids' book on which it's based in a clever and engaging first half. But the second half leaves a foul aftertaste."
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs earned a total of $243 million on a reported budget of $100 million. Of the gross, 51%, or $124,870,275, came from the domestic market, while the rest, $118,135,851, from other territories. For the film's marketing, Sony spent $43.3 million in the United States, and $26 million in other countries. The film earned $8,137,358 on its opening Friday, and ranked #1 at the box office with a total of $30.3 million for the first weekend. On its second weekend, it remained at #1 with a decrease of only 17%.
Xem thêm: the cabin in the woods
A sequel, titled Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2, was released on September 27, 2013. Directed by Cody Cameron and Kris Pearn, and it is based on an original idea, where Flint and his friends must again save the world from his food machine, which survived the explosion in the prequel. This time, the machine gains the ability to lớn produce living food beasts. Most of the main cast reprised their roles, but Earl, the town cop, is now voiced by Terry Crews since Mr. T declined to lớn reprise the role. New cast also includes Kristen Schaal as orangutan Barb, and Will Forte in his new role of Chester V.
On October 9, năm trước, DHX Media announced that it will develop and produce a television series based on the film franchise, titled Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs: The Series. The series will be traditionally animated and will consist of twenty-six 22-minute episodes. It will take place before the first film, showing Flint Lockwood as a high school student who dreams of becoming a serious scientist. In his adventures, he will be joined by Sam Sparks, a new girl in town and the school's "wannabe" reporter, along with Flint's dad Tim, Steve the Monkey, Manny as the head of the school's audiovisual club, Earl as a school thể hình teacher, Brent as a baby wear model, and mayor Shelbourne. DHX Media will handle the global television and non-US home page entertainment distribution, along with worldwide merchandising rights, while Sony will distribute home page entertainment in the US. Commissioned by Teletoon in Canada, the series will air on Cartoon Network in the United States, and on the Boomerang channel in other territories. None of the original cast returned for the show and were replaced by Canadian voice actors.
- Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs (video game), based on the film.
- 2012, a Sony disaster film released nearly two months after Meatballs
- Real life food spill disasters and weather phenomena
- Boston Molasses Disaster
- Honolulu molasses spill
- London Beer Flood
- Kentucky meat shower
- ^ Debruge, Peter (September 18, 2009). "Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs". Variety. Retrieved September 23, 2009.
- ^ "Info". Mutato Muzika. Retrieved September 23, 2009.
- ^ "GeekDad Talks Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs with Directors Chris Miller & Phil Lord". Wired. August 6, 2009. Retrieved September 23, 2009.
- ^ "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs". The Numbers. Retrieved February 13, 2019.
- ^ a b c "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs (2009)". AFI Catalog of Feature Films. Retrieved November 11, 2020.
- ^ a b "L.A. Premiere of 'Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs'/". Hollywood.com. September 12, 2009. Retrieved January 14, 2017.
- ^ a b c d "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs (2009)". Box Office Mojo. IMDb. Retrieved December trăng tròn, 2010.
- ^ Gold, Daniel M. (September 18, 2009). "A Yummy Forecast". The Thủ đô New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Archived from the original on July 7, 2022. Retrieved March 22, 2023.
- ^ Ball, Ryan (May 9, 2003). "Sony Taps Six to lớn Direct Animates Slate". Animation Magazine. Retrieved September 28, 2012.
- ^ Nguyen, Hanh (August 16, 2006). "Sony Forecasts 'Chance of Meatballs'". Zap2it. Retrieved July 31, 2011.
- ^ Sloan, Sam (August 16, 2006). "It's Raining.........Food?". Slice of SciFi. Archived from the original on October 2, 2012. Retrieved November 25, 2010.
- ^ Phil Lord (October 11, 2012). Rewriting Collective Insights: Phil Lord at TEDxCoconutGrove. TEDx Talks. Archived from the original on 2021-12-15. Retrieved September trăng tròn, 2018 – via YouTube.
- ^ Siegel, Tatiana (September 18, 2008). "Hader, Faris spice up 'Meatballs". Variety. Retrieved July 1, 2021.
- ^ Bharwani, Asim (July 2009). "Sneak Peek: 'Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs'". MovingPicturesMagazine.com. Archived from the original on 2009-07-30. Retrieved July 23, 2009.
- ^ Vary, Adam B. (April 19, 2021). "'Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse' Sequel Snares New Directing Trio (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved February 24, 2023.
- ^ Cosgrove, Miranda (August 24, 2009). "Raining Sunshine - Single by Miranda Cosgrove on Apple Music". music.apple.com. Archived from the original on August 23, 2019.
- ^ IMAX Corporation (July 29, 2009). "Sony Pictures Animation's Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs to lớn be released in IMAX(R) 3D" (Press release). quảng bá Newswire. Retrieved January 14, 2017.
- ^ Nemiroff, Perri (November 27, 2009). "Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs Pours Onto DVD In January". Cinema Blend. Retrieved May 1, 2012.
- ^ McCutcheon, David (November 9, 2009). "Meatballs Cloud Up Home". IGN. Retrieved October 17, 2012.
- ^ Calonge, Juan (June 10, 2010). "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 3 chiều Blu-ray Announced". Blu-ray.com. Retrieved March 23, 2012.
- ^ Team, AnimationXpress (2021-04-26). "Sony Pictures Animation films to lớn arrive on Disney+ and Hulu in a new multi-stream giảm giá -". www.animationxpress.com. Retrieved 2023-02-21.
- ^ Couch, Aaron (2021-04-21). "Sony Films Will Move to lớn Disney After Netflix Window Expires". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2023-03-11.
- ^ Silver, Curtis (October 21, 2009). "Get Visual With the Art of Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs". Wired. Retrieved August 25, 2012.
- ^ Miller-Zarneke, Tracey; Barrett, Judi (2009). The Art and Making of Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs (Hardcover). ISBN 978-1933784892.
- ^ "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango Media. Retrieved September 4, 2022.
- ^ "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved February trăng tròn, 2022.
- ^ Kaufman, Amy (September 29, 2013). "'Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 2' is No. 1 on crowded weekend". Los Angeles Times. Archived from the original on February trăng tròn, 2022. Retrieved April 30, 2022.
Both installments received an average grade of A-, according to lớn market research firm CinemaScore.
- ^ Hardy, Ernest (September 16, 2009). "Movie Reviews: Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs, Jennifer's Body, Love Happens". LA Weekly. Retrieved September 28, 2012.
- ^ Phillips, Michael (September 17, 2009). "'Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs' -- 2 50% stars". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved September 28, 2012.
- ^ Smith, Kyle (September 18, 2009). "Forecast: Fishy". New York Post. Archived from the original on October 14, 2012. Retrieved September 19, 2009.
- ^ Gray, Brandon (September 21, 2009). "Weekend Report: Moviegoers Feast on 'Meatballs,' Slim Pickings for 'Jennifer'". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved September 28, 2012.
- ^ Gray, Brandon (September 28, 2009). "Weekend Report: Blue Skies for 'Cloudy,' Hazy Starts for 'Surrogates,' 'Fame'". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved September 28, 2012.
- ^ "37th Annual Annie Nominations and Awards Recipients". AnnieAwards.org. Archived from the original on August 15, 2010. Retrieved February 7, 2012.
- ^ "15TH ANNUAL CRITICS CHOICE MOVIE AWARDS (2010) – BEST PICTURE: THE HURT LOCKER". CriticsChoice.com. November 21, 2011. Archived from the original on September 30, 2012. Retrieved February 7, 2012.
- ^ "THE 67TH ANNUAL GOLDEN GLOBE AWARDS NOMINATIONS". GoldenGlobes.org. December 15, 2009. Archived from the original on 2012-07-31. Retrieved February 7, 2012.
- ^ "2009 Satellite Awards". PressAcademy.com. Retrieved February 7, 2012.
- ^ "8th Annual VES Awards". VisualEffectsSociety.com. Archived from the original on January 18, 2013. Retrieved February 7, 2012.
- ^ Sony Pictures Animation (August 21, 2012). "Delicious Voice Cast Storms In To 'Cloudy 2: Revenge Of The Leftovers'". PR Newswire. Retrieved August 25, 2012.
- ^ Breznican, Anthony (August 21, 2012). "CAUTION: Food may eat YOU in 'Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs' sequel -- EXCLUSIVE". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved August 22, 2012.
- ^ a b c d e "DHX MEDIA AND SONY PICTURES ANIMATION TAKING CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF MEATBALLS TO TELEVISION" (Press release). DHX Media. October 9, năm trước. Archived from the original on 2014-10-10. Retrieved October 10, 2014.
- ^ Sony Pictures Animation (June trăng tròn, 2016). "Sony Pictures Animation Announces 2017 & 2018 Slate" (Press release). quảng bá Newswire. Retrieved September 25, 2016.
- ^ DHX Media (October 5, 2015). "DHX Media and Sony Pictures Animation's Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs TV Series Goes Global" (Press release). quảng bá Newswire. Retrieved October 9, 2015.
- Official website
- Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs at IMDb
- Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs at AllMovie
- Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs at Rotten Tomatoes
- Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs at Metacritic
- Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs at Box Office Mojo